<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Jonestown
I probably shouldn't read too much into this, but ...

The thousands of people who followed Jones, many of them black, were drawn by his preaching of interracial harmony and caring for the poor. Politicians liked him too -- Jones became chair of the San Francisco Housing Authority in 1976.

"I think what we all wanted was utopia. I think each one of us wants that now, we want to live in a world where there's no poverty, there's no hunger, no crime," she said. "Jim appealed to that need."


Obviously, it would be silly to try and discredit San Francisco Leftism with the example of Jim Jones, but I think it is fair to point out that there is a big difference between promising utopia and delivering utopia. I would rather cast my lot with those who build decent, prosperous, and free societies, than those who promise perfection and deliver hell.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?